Evangelical Lyceum (Evanjelické lýceum) in Bratislava, Slovakia, is a school with more than 400 years of tradition of good protestant education. It was founded in 1606 by David Kilger as a Lutheran high school. Until 1656 Evangelical Lyceum was a school with eight classes, two of them elementary school. Among its students, from 1829 to 1836, was the young Ľudovít Štúr, who became a member of Czech-Slav Society and one of the influential teachers at the school. Later he became the central figure in the process of codification of the Slovak language.
In 1923 the government ordered transformation of the school into State German Gymnasium. In 1944 the school was definitively closed. It was reopened in 1991 as a bilingual (English-Slovak) church school, and continues to educate young people until today. Every year the school welcomes missionaries from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America who serve at the school as lectors.
One of the school’s priorities is to form and lead its students to live honest lives rooted in Christian values.
Today the school has about 280 students in 5-year bilingual study program and about 100 in 8-year gymnasium.
“Come and see what the LORD has done.
See what amazing things he has done on earth.” Psalm 46:8
Roelof van Echten College, Netherlands