School and University

Akropong Presbyterian Primary and J.H.S.

This text is available only in the language in which it was sent to us.
Thank you for your understanding.

It was the early Basel Missionaries who introduced formal education in this part of the country. It all began with Andreas Riss and Rev. J.T. Widmann about one hundred and seventy years ago. Rev J.T. Widmann established the first school in 1843 with the children of the first West Indian Missionaries and five local children on admission in the first Primary School, which was initially a Primary Boarding School. The Primary Boarding School or Junior School was built at the site where the present Presbyterian College of Education (P.C.E) Demonstration Primary School is situated. When the new P.C.E buildings where built in 1928, Akropong Presbyterian Primary School was relocated to Adami Atifi in the Daakye community in Akropong Akuapem, where new classrooms were built for its relocation. This is the typical Akropong Presbyterian Primary School popularly known as JUNIOR SCHOOL by all and sundry. After completing the Junior school course, the pupils were admitted into the Presbyterian Middle schools. In the early days, whiles the girls furthered theirs by staying with the Missionaries as house helps “Mmaawa.”

For practical home education in crafts, sewing, needlework, housecleaning and keeping. In 1867, the Middle Boys Boarding School was relocated from the seminary to a permanent house built for it near the Akropong Christ Presbyterian Church, precisely at the present Presbyterian University College (P.U.C). The Middle Boys Boarding School became popularly known as SALEM which evidently took its source of admission from Junior school (BOYS ONLY). Salem become an icon of high academic standard and strong Presbyterian discipline in character training.
Most graduants of hardworking and capable young men were admitted into the Teachers’ Training College. Others were engaged as clerks in government and commercial offices while others became carpenters, masons, tailors and agriculturalist. By the early years of the 20th century, after the Basel missionary had been deported, our girls who completed their Junior School course lost their chance of staying with the Missionaries for practical education. By Gods grace some Girls Middle School and Mixed Middle School had been established elsewhere and with such an opportunity, our girls who completed the Junior School and desired to have Middle School education went to Peki, Aburi and Keta Girls’ Middle School. In 1952, the Town Development Committee in conjunction with the Social Welfare opened the Akropong Day Nusery. By 1964, the Day Nusery had grown into a kindergarten. The Kindergarten, which was initially located on the premises of the Presbyterian Christ Church, was relocated to the premises of Junior School on 11th July 1999, where it has remained till date. The school now has its Junior High School (J.H.S) which also started in 2011. The mustard seed which begun in ”1843” has grown into a big tree with branches on which birds of the air sit and sing to the glory of their creator. Ever since Junior School has grown from strength to strength and from knowledge but has declined from infrastructure to infrastructure. Education without good character is like building a magnificent edifice on bare sand which can not stand the test of time. With the still existence of Junior School about a century and seventy years ago, proves that Akropong Presbyterian Primary School is really the great grandmother of all Presbyterian Schools in Ghana thanks to the Missionaries especially the man Andreas Riss and Kwadade.